Fashion Translation Guidance
- Carry out appropriate research – use the websites of your favourite fashion retailers to ensure you are using up to date terminology and look at fashion magazines.
- Follow style guides closely.
- Search products on the Client’s website – the images will provide excellent reference material to ensure your translations are spot-on.
- Follow the Term Base strictly – advise your Project Manager if you see any incorrect terms or descriptions that are out of date in the fashion world.
- Size guides: If you come across text relating to sizes and if the text says LARGE, then this can be translated, but on the size guide, it must stay as L, even if the translated word doesn’t begin with L - because this is what it says on the clothing label.
- The intention with EN product descriptions is usually to use the imagination enthusiastically and sell, sell, sell! Your translations should reflect this.